Semantic Phenotyping of Diseases
- Mondo Disease Ontology: harmonizing disease concepts around the world. Poster presentation and Lightning Talk at Curating the Clinical Genome (virtual) conference. May 12, 2021.
- Mondo: The world’s disease concepts, unified. Presentation to ClinGen Biocurators Working Group meeting, October 22, 2020. Link here
- Mondo Disease Ontology: Harmonizing Disease Concepts Across the World. Poster presentation at ICBO 2020, Virtual. Poster here. Abstract here.
- uPheno 2: Framework for standardised representation of phenotypes across species Poster presentation at Biocuration 2019, Cambridge, UK, April 2019. Slides here
- LOINC2HPO: Curation of Phenotype Data from the Electronic Health Records using the Human Phenotype Ontology Talk at Biocuration 2019, Cambridge, UK, April 2019. Slides here and poster here.
- LOINC2HPO: Improving Translational Informatics by Standardizing EHR Phenotypic Data Using the Human Phenotype Ontology. Keynote address at Rocky Bioinformatics 2018, Snowmass, CO, December 07, 2018.
- Empowering patients by increasing accessibility to clinical terminology. Medical Library Association Pacific Northwest Chapter meeting, Portland, OR, October 18, 2016. Link here
Biomedical Ontologies and Bioinformatics
- Developing Semantic Technology for Toxicology Applications: Interdisciplinary Collaborations and Community Development Thessen, Anne E, Callahan, Tiffany J, Chan, Lauren E, Willis, Mary, Vasilevsky, Nicole, Boyles, Rebecca, … Haendel, Melissa A. (2020). (Version 1). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3697160 Abstract and poster here
- Mondo Disease Ontology: harmonizing disease concepts around the world. Poster presentation at Childhood Cancer Data Initiative Symposium 2019, Washington, DC, July 29, 2019 and Rocky Bioinformatics, Snowmass, CO, Dec 06, 2019. Link here
- Phenotype Ontology workshop report. International Conference on Biological Ontology, Corvallis, OR, August 08, 2018.
- Phenotype Ontologies Traversing All The Organisms (POTATO) workshop, Workshop at the International Conference on Biological Ontology, Corvallis, OR, August 06-07, 2018.
- The Human Phenotype Ontology. Invited talk at the Sickle Cell Disease Ontology Workshop, Cape Town, South Africa, June 04, 2018. Link here
- A comprehensive disease ontology for human disease curation. Presentation at Biocuration 2018 conference, Shanghai, China, April 10, 2018. Link here
- A match made in heaven: domain expert meets CSV; gives birth to ontologies. csv,conf, v3, Portland, OR, May 03, 2017. Link here
- Enhancing the Human Phenotype Ontology for Use by the Layperson. International Conference on Biomedical Ontology and BioCreative (ICBO BioCreative 2016), Corvallis, Oregon, August, 2016. Link here
- Updating and Extending the Concept Annotations of the CRAFT Corpus. Biocuration 2016, Geneva, Switzerland. [v1; not peer reviewed]. F1000Research 2016, 5:709 (slide presentation) (doi: 10.7490/f1000research.1111753.1) Link here
- The semantic web is changing research and library science. Oregon Library Association Annual Meeting, Bend, OR. 27 April 2012
- Making (structured) sense of the data and teaching others how to do it too. Faculty talk for the Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology at Oregon Health & Science University. April 26, 2018. Link here
Data Science Education and Training
- Introduction to Ontologies. Invited presentation at Exposures Workshop, Oregon State University, September 09, 2019. Link here
- Teaching Data Science to Undergraduate Students. Presentation at From Evidence to Scholarship Conference, Reed College, Portland, OR. March 16, 2018. Link here
- Data Science Resources for Anyone, Anywhere: Development of Skills Courses and Open Educational Resources. Medical Library Association Conference, Seattle, WA, May 30, 2017. Link here
- Data Science Resources for Anyone, Anywhere. NN/LM Pacific Northwest Region Rendezvous webinar. April 19, 2017. Link here
- Data science education resources for everyone. Medical Library Association Pacific Northwest Chapter meeting in Portland, OR, October 18, 2016. Link here
- Educating Naturopathic Medicine Students in Basic Science Laboratory Skills and Data Analysis. 2012 International Congress for Educators in Complementary and Integrative Medicine. Washington DC. 25 October 2012.
Attribution and Representing Researcher Expertise
- Giving credit where credit is due: How to make more meaningful connections between people and their roles, work, and impact. Talk and poster presentation at Rocky Bioinformatics, Snowmass, CO, Dec 06, 2019. Link here
- CREDITLAND: How to enhance attribution to make more meaningful connections for everyone to their roles, work, & impact. Force2019, Edinburgh, UK. October 2019. Link here
- Creating Sustainable Communities in Open Data Resources: The eagle-i and VIVO Semantic Data Tools in Action. Association of College and Research Libraries Conference, Portland, OR. March 2015. Link here
- eagle-i Software Demonstration. Western Association of Core Directors. Portland, OR. 01 November 2012.
Data Management, Data Standards and Altmetrics
- Roles for Libraries in Providing Research Data Management Services. Association of College and Research Libraries Conference. March 2015. Portland, OR. Link here
- The Role of Libraries in Data Management and Curation. American Library Association conference, Las Vegas, NV. June 2014.
- Data Management. SPARC Conference Portland, OR. 03 and 04 May 2013
- Data and Information Management: Teaching Best Practices. International Association of Medical Science Education Meeting, Portland, OR. 25 June 2012. Link here
- Data Management Open House. OHSU, October 2013.
- Let Me Hear Your Data Talk: Connecting the Library to OHSU’s Data Needs. OHSU Library, 2013.
Open Science and Scientific Reproducibility
- Evaluating scientific data licensing with the (Re)usable Data Project. Force2019, Edinburgh, UK. October 2019. Link here
- Research Efficiency & Reproducibility: Leveraging Research Resources. Elsevier webinar. April 2014.
- On the reproducibility of science: Unique Identification of Research Resources in the Biomedical Literature. OHSU Research Week. OHSU, Portland, OR. May 2013.
- The role of Mad4, Mnt and c-Myc proteins in OX40 stimulated T cells. American Association of Immunologists Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, 12 May 2009
- The role of Mad4, Mnt and c-Myc proteins in OX40 stimulated T cells. Tumor Vaccine and Cell Therapy Working Group, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 08 May 2009
- The role of Mad4, Mnt and c-Myc proteins in OX40 stimulated T cells. Shriners Research Center, Shriners Hospital for Crippled Children, Portland, OR. 17 April 2009